Friday, May 23, 2008

A few lazy days

We're slowly adjusting to being home and being 4. We haven't done much. Larry went back to work the day after we got home, and is totally swamped, overwhelmed and exhausted. I've stayed home with the girls, puttering around, letting Ruth get adjusted, and I'm totally exhausted. We've had some ups and downs. She still goes into the blue funk when we tell her no, if I spend time with Claire, if Claire plays with one of her toys, and sometimes just out of the blue. Claire is having a hard time adjusting to Ruth's moodiness, and is bucking me on my ideas of how to deal with it. But today was a good day and she only had a few minor episodes. Bedtime is tough, and she cries and moans until she falls asleep. I have to lie down by her and hold her hand. Tonight our big cat came and lay down on my chest, purring like crazy and wanting some pets, and that seemed to comfort her a little.

We've been to my office so everyone could see her, and to the bank (blue funk because I'd only let her have one sucker). We went to Kohl's to get some pants that fit her, and she cried when I made her leave one of her armload of toys in the car. I really think that with each stop we make, she thinks she may never come back.

Today we went to the grocery store and she was pointing and telling me to look at everything - just total fascination!

Here are a whole bunch of pictures from the last 3 days.


My beautiful girl . . . she seems so big now, I forget that she's just a little girl, too . . .


For the first days at the hotel, she let us take her picture, but no more :-( --- She runs away or ducks behind something. Here she is hiding under the desk to escape the camera.


Trying to hide behind this monkey.


This morning we just lazied around, and made a few bubbles out on the deck in our pajamas.




Then we went to the park. I don't think she had ever been to a park before. I think she could have swung all day.




This one's a little blurry, but I love the contrast - one child so tiny and content to swing gently back and forth --- the other so robust and giving that tire swing what for.




The sandbox was especially fascinating to her, too. Probably the first time she'd seen one. Who knows.



2 comments:

Krystal said...

Finally some pictures!!! And great ones, too :)

It really does sound like Ruth is doing good, and of course she is going to have some blue funks. . . it is so sweet that you lay with her and hold her hand at night. She needs time to figure this all out, and you are doing an amazing job of giving her so much reassurance!!!

Sarah said...

Awww.... such sweet pictures of your beautiful girls! I hope that her blue funk gets better a bit each day... what a cahnge for that sweet little girl... very soon, she will realize that this is forever and she will never be without a family again.