Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Goofy things they say

We have both ends of the spectrum when it comes to eating at our house. Claire will eat everything in sight, and we have to force her to stop. Mia will hardly eat anything, and we have to force her to stay in her seat and eat. One time she'll like something, and the next time she won't. It makes it a real challenge, and much food is thrown out. Sometimes she says she doesn't like something, even though she's never tried it. When I make her try it, she actually likes it. One thing she's tried and never liked is yogurt. Claire and I both like plain yogurt, and we mix a little jam with it. It's as precious as gold to me, and I get really aggravated if I have to throw any out. The other day I found a bowl of it sitting by Mia's abandoned breakfast plate. Come to find out, she had asked Claire for some, and Claire dished it out for her. I put Mia in her chair and told her not to get up until the breakfast was eaten, including the yogurt. Soon she came to the top of the stairs and looked down at where I was sorting laundry. I asked if she was finished, and she said yes. I said, "Mia, remember this day, and don't EVER ask for yogurt again." I saw just the faintest grin, and she said, "But Mommy, it was really, really GOOD!" Silly girl.

Claire and I have these rambling conversations. One night we were talking about the cat, and somehow got to the subject of neutering cats ---
Claire - "Why?"
Mom - "So they won't make kittens"
Claire - "Boys make kittens?"
Mom -"Yes, they don't have them, but it takes a boy and a girl to make a baby"
Claire - "Can you make a baby?"
Mom - "No, I never could"
Claire - "Did you try?"
Mom - "Yes, we tried for years"
Claire - "Is that why you look so old and tired?"
Mom - "No, I'm just old and tired."

No comments: